How EFN Operates
The Energy Futures Network operates in three main ways:
- The Energy Futures Network web site is intended to foster a community of practice where conversations related to energy can occur among professionals - in industry, government, academia and NGOs - working on all aspects of energy, and on a world-wide basis. We do this by providing:
- a portal for commentary and discussion among our Associates on any topic related to energy
- a portal to post and share documents and links to interesting and important information for the information and use by other Associates
- A voluntary membership directory that allows Associates to communicate directly with each other, with the intent that Associates will benefit from a community of practice outside of their normal professional lines of communication.
- Providing face-to-face opportunities for Associates and other interested professionals to meet to work on specific topics of interest. We do this by, on request, facilitating Forums and Workshops where multi-disciplinary, multi-sectoral approaches can be developed to foster more rapid implementation of technological, societal, regulatory and governmental solutions to addressing the important issues in energy.
- Developing tools to support the development of cleaner energy options. Our first tool, CanESS, is a physical systems simulator that permits those engaged in energy-related futures thinking to have a reliable and robust system for entering into "what if we did this?" discussions. CanESS is offered in conjunction with whatIf? Technologies.